How to Configure Turnitin (The Anti-Plagiarism Plugin)
1. When creating or editing an Assignment activity, scroll down until you see the Turnitin plagiarism plugin settings tab.
Note: Turnitin is only available on Assignment activities.
2. Under the Turnitin are options you can change to alter the turnitin behavious. However, there are options that are locked and cannot be changed.
The following are the options you can adjust:
- Enable Turnitin - Determines wether Turnitin will check the submissions or not. Newly created assignment activities will have this set to yes by default.
- Display Similarity Reports to Students - Determines wether Turnitin's reports can be viewed by the students or by the teacher only.
- Allow submission of any file type? - If set to no, Turnitin will only check a specific list of files:
- Microsoft Word® (.doc and .docx)
- Hangul Word Processor file (.hwp)
- Plain text (.txt)
- Rich text format (.rtf)
- OpenOffice Text (.odt)
- Portable Document Format (.pdf)
- Powerpoint (.ppt)
- Google Docs via Google Drive™
- Report Generation Speed - There are three options for this assignment setting:
- Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are not allowed) - This generates the Originality Report immediately when a student makes a submission. With this option selected your students will not be able to resubmit to the assignment.
- Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are allowed until due date) - This allows students to continuously resubmit papers to the assignment until the due date. It may take up to 24 hours to process Originality Reports for resubmissions
- Generate reports on due date (resubmissions are allowed until due date) - This will only generate an Originality Report on the assignment's due date. This setting will make it so all papers submitted to the assignment will be compared against each other when the Originality Reports are created.
- Exclude Small Matches - Allows the instructor to choose to exclude plagiarism matches that are not of sufficient length. Note: This setting can be overridden when checking the individual plagiarism reports of the students.
- Exclusion Value - Works in tandem with Exclude Small Matches.
- If Exclude Small Matches is set to No then this option is disabled.
- If Exclude Small Matches is set to Word then you can input here the number of words the report will exclude. For example, if you set 10 as your Exclusion Value then any suspected plagiarism match that are less than 10 words in length will be excluded in the plagiarism report
- If Exclude Small Matches is set to Percent then you can input the percentage relative to the entire document. For example, if you set 10 as the percentage for your Exclusion Value then any suspected plagiarism match that are less than 10 percent in length compared to the entire document will be excluded in the plagiarism report
- Attach a rubric to this assignment - Determines wether a rubric will be generated in accordance to the plagiarism report.
3. Save your changes.